If you have renamed the computer on which you installed SQL Server Analysis Server, the configuration program fails when it tries to create the new SQL Server Analysis database and an error similar to the following is generated:
Cannot connect to the repository.
Analysis server: <machine name>
'\\<machine name>\MsOLAPRepository$\msmdrep.mdb' is not a valid path.
Make sure that you correctly spell the path name and that you are connected to the server on which the file resides.
The configuration program is unable to determine the new name of the computer on which you installed SQL Server Analysis Server.
Perform the following manual steps to update Analysis Server with the new computer name:
- Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Microsoft SQL Server, point to Analysis Services, and then click Analysis Manager.
- In the Analysis Manager navigation panel, double-click the Analysis Servers node to expand it.
- Right-click the server with the repository connection string you want to edit, and then select Edit Repository Connection String.
- In the Edit Repository Connection String dialog box, verify the server name in this string and update it to the new computer name if it is incorrect.
- Navigate to the following location: <installation directory>\Program Files\Microsoft Analysis Services\Bin.
- Right-click the Bin folder, and then click Sharing and Security. The Bin Properties dialog box appears.
- In the Bin Properties dialog box, click the Sharing tab to verify that all Online Analytical Processing (OLAP) administrators have full permissions to this folder.