When you are running the Diagnostics Console or Diagnostics Service, the following error may be logged to the Errors tab:
Could not find source '[source name]' Unable to write error to Event Log.
This error means that the message source defined in the application's configuration file cannot be found and is therefore unable to write an exception to the OnBase Log in the Windows Event Viewer.
Check the configuration file and ensure that the WindowsEventLogging sourcename value is a valid message source. Message sources are defined in the registry under \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\ OnBase Log.
The following steps describe how to add the message source to the Windows Registry.
Modify the registry at your own risk. Incorrectly editing the Windows registry can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Be sure to back up the registry before making any changes to it.
- Select Start | Run.
- Enter regedt32 and click OK to open the Windows Registry Editor.
Browse to the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\ OnBase Log
- Right-click OnBase Log and select New | KEY.
- Name the new key the sourcename value from the application's configuration file.
- Right-click the new key and select New | Expandable String Value.
- Name the new value EventMessageFile.
- Double-click EventMessageFile.
Set the Value to the following:
The application can now write to the OnBase Log in the Windows Event Viewer.